Alfred Lim is a founding Director of Fullerton Law Chambers LLC. His practice is primarily in commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on construction and engineering disputes.
Alfred has acted in matters at all levels of the Singapore courts as well as in ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations. He also performs various front-end non-contentious work including drafting, reviewing and advising on various standard forms and general commercial contracts.
Alfred obtained his Bachelor of Engineering, Civil (Honours) from the National University of Singapore before obtaining his LL.B. (Honours) on its accelerated Graduate LL.B. Programme. Prior to commencing private practice, Alfred was a former prosecutor with the Ministry of Manpower and the Attorney-General's Chambers.
Recent cases in which Alfred has been involved include matters relating to breaches of construction contracts, adjudications under the Security Of Payments Act (“SOPA”), product defamation, tenancy disputes, employment disputes, breaches of shareholders' agreements and High Court personal injury claims.
He also sits as an Arbitrator under the auspices of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
Alfred acted in the case of PP v GS Engineering & Construction Corp in both the State Courts as well the Prosecution’s appeal to the High Court. In PP v GS Engineering & Construction Corp, the High Court laid down the sentencing framework for all workplace, safety and health offences. The case is now followed for all similar offences before the State Courts.
Alfred is often invited to speak at various seminars on a variety of topics ranging from employment law to the use of social media.
In September 2015, Alfred attended Harvard Law School where he was trained in negotiation.
In June 2016, Alfred completed the STEP Certificate for Financial Services (Trusts and Estate Planning) where he obtained a credible Distinction and was placed second in his class.
In March 2017, Alfred participated in the SAL-Insead Law Firm Leadership Programme at the Insead Asia campus.
Outside of legal practice, Alfred sits on the Review Board of the Children and Young Persons Homes, Ministry of Social and Family Development.
Commercial Litigation Cases
- Acted for a mainboard-listed company in its claim for breach of shareholders’ agreement and breach of fiduciary duty;
- Acted in an arbitration involving multi-million dollar claims for variations, delays and defects rectification in a high-end residential development;
- Acted in the defence of multi-million dollar claims in relation to allegations of breaches of a shareholder agreement involving multiple plaintiffs, defendants and third parties;
- Acted for a main contractor in the defence of a claim from a sub-contractor that the excavation contract for a family entertainment complex is on a unit rate instead of a lump sum contract basis;
- Acted for a high net worth PRC individual to set aside a default judgment obtained by a local gaming entity;
- Acted in the defence of a High Court claim and subsequent appeal in the Court of Appeal in relation to allegations of fraud, knowing receipt, breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and unjust enrichment;
- Acted for an Australia integrated resort in its claim for gaming debt incurred by a local individual;
- Acted for the applicant in the High Court and respondent in the Court of Appeal to stay all enforcement proceedings and to seek a declaration that a judgment debt has been compromised and that third parties have implied actual authority to bind the company;
- Acting for plaintiffs in their claims for misrepresentation and breach of shareholders' agreement in relation to a business proposal to set up facilities in Las Vegas to produce medical marijuana;
- Acted for various individuals and entities in their defence against claims for breaches of fiduciary duty, breach of trust and dishonest assistance;
- Acting for a pair of defendants in their defence against joint and several liabilities for alleged failure to act bona fide and in good faith in the interests of the plaintiff company;
- Acted for various MCSTs in their defence from subsidiary proprietors for breach of duty and breach of the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act;
- Acted for various owners and tenants in commercial and residential tenancy disputes;
- Acted for various contractors and sub-contractors in the prosecution and defence of adjudication claims under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act;
- Acted for employees in the defence of a High Court claim for breach of non-competition and non-solicitation clauses and breach of fiduciary duty;
- Acted for a common law employer in the defence of an employee’s workplace injury claim that was filed in the High Court;
- Acted for the Plaintiffs in a High Court trial and subsequent appeal and cross-appeal to the Court of Appeal in relation to a defamation suit;
- Acted for a company and director who were served with a domestic Mareva Injunction;
- Acted for a Romania company to apply for a Mareva Injunction against an individual;
- Acted for a minor who suffered quadriplegia in a road traffic accident in a High Court claim against the negligent driver;
- Acted for an owner in defending a claim against a contractor for retention sums in relation to addition and alteration works in a residential project;
- Advised various BCA grade A1 civil engineering and general building contractors in relation to regulatory compliance.
Workplace Safety, Employment and Regulatory Cases
- Led a team of prosecutors in the enforcement of the Factories Act (now Workplace Safety and Health Act) and Employment of Foreign Workers Act (now Employment of Foreign Manpower Act);
- Represented the Manpower Ministry in the enforcement of various statutes, ranging from employment offences to workplace safety offences;
- One of two lead prosecutors in the prosecution of a steel-latticework collapse which resulted in two fatalities and injuries to 29 others;
- Prosecuted a multi-national process engineering company where a safety lapse in the issuance of appropriate fire-rated apparel resulted in two fatalities;
- Prosecuted a multi-national construction company where a safety lapse in the maintenance of the lifting equipment resulted in one fatality.
As Defence Counsel
- Represented various companies and individuals in their defence for offences under the Workplace Safety and Health Act and Employment of Foreign Manpower Act;
- Represented an established local construction company and its director in their defence against breaches of work pass conditions;
- Represented various companies who were charged as Occupiers under Section 11 of the Workplace Safety and Health Act;
- Represented various companies who were charged as Employers under Section 12 of the Workplace Safety and Health Act;
- Represented a construction manager who was charged as an officer of a body corporate under Section 48(1)(b) of the Workplace Safety and Health Act;
- Represented individuals who were charged under Section 15(3A) of the Workplace Safety and Health Act;
- Advised various companies facing investigation and stop work orders issued by the Ministry of Manpower Occupational Safety and Health Division;
- Advised various companies and individuals facing investigation for potential breaches under the Immigration Act and Employment of Foreign Manpower Act;
- Represented professional engineers in their defence for offences under the Building Control Act as well as in disciplinary hearings before the Professional Engineers Board;
- Represented the director of a company in relation to 14 employment-related charges;
- Represented a sole-proprietor who was charged for failing to provide a safe workplace which led to a fatal accident;
- Represented a director of a company who faced investigation for possible offences under the Employment Agencies Act.
In the recent Asialaw 2022 edition, these are what the clients have to say about Alfred:-
“We found the senior partner Alfred Lim, a hugely knowledgeable and seasoned legal professional and his team of lawyers most competent.”
“Detail, precise, positive, knowledgeable, experienced. He gives professional advice and performs well-executed approaches to the issues.”
“Impeccable legal knowledge. Enthusiasm in understanding my industry, company and cases (where needed). Professional advice always. Trusted for success.”
“Attentive. Listens and comprehends the client entirely. Has the best interests for the clients. Extremely knowledgeable in his field and very ethical in his work.”