Charis graduated from the University of Warwick with a Bachelor of Laws (Second Upper Class Honours). She is admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
Charis is part of the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution department. She has been involved in litigation before the High Court and State Courts of Singapore in a range of contentious matters involving contractual disputes, defamation, breach of director’s duties and employment disputes.
- Advising a major trust company of an umbrella unit trust with multiple sub-funds with respect to its rights and obligations, and strategizing course of actions to mitigate risk in the termination of the umbrella unit trust.
- Representing shareholders in a SIAC arbitration in resisting another shareholder’s claims of breaches of a shareholders’ agreement and minority oppression.
- Defended the sole director of, and the company, against a former director’s actions for pre-action discovery and contempt of court, and successfully obtained a withdrawal of the committal application with costs.
- Acting for and advising the Judicial Managers of Hyflux Ltd and Hydrochem (S) Pte Ltd involving over S$3 billion in liabilities and businesses in over 80 subsidiaries located worldwide.
- Acted for Hyflux in seeking for the release of the SGD 38 million deposit held with an escrow agent arising out of a breach of a SGD 400 million restructuring agreement. The claim was successfully settled.
- Acting for and advising a Singapore-based hotel and hospitality company in disputes involving separate tenancy agreements in light of the COVID-19 situation.
- Successfully acted on appeal for a director of a rubber processing company over a guarantee for a corporate loan of approximately US$2 million: Kam Thai Leong Dennis v Asian Infrastructure Ltd  SGCA 87
- Acted for an interior design company against a former CFO and director and successfully obtained unconditional leave to defend against the claims for bonuses and termination benefits at a summary judgment hearing, and successfully defended on appeal.
- Assisted in acting for a litigation trustee in a claim for damages of approximately US$600 million against the valuers of an insolvent Canadian-listed company for negligence and breach of contract. A settlement was reached following a full trial.
- Assisted in acting for the Chairman of an MCST against subsidiary proprietors in a defamation suit, which involves the defences of qualified privilege and justification, and the drawing of adverse inference.