Verna graduated from Singapore Management University in 2017 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (cum laude), and also completed a semester abroad at ESADE Law School in Barcelona, Spain, where she excelled in several international law-related modules. She also undertook a summer pupillage at Des Voeux Chambers in 2015, a leading barristers’ chamber in Hong Kong, where she gained substantial insight into the legal system and developed a valuable cross-jurisdictional perspective.
Verna’s practice encompasses various contentious and non-contentious matters, and since commencing her legal career, she has been actively involved in litigation for a variety of disputes, including contractual disputes, shareholders’ disputes, employment disputes, insolvency litigation, probate proceedings, amongst others. Verna’s strong work ethic, coupled with her meticulous attention to detail, spurs her to go the extra mile to ensure her clients’ objectives are met.
Outside of legal practice, Verna is a person of diverse passions. She is an avid long-distance runner, and actively channels that same level of mental grit, tenacity and firm resolve into pursuing her clients’ best interests. She is also a passionate writer, and continually keeps abreast of crucial developments in the law, in order to render quality legal advice for her clients.
- Assisted to act for a former financial services director ("FSD") against a financial institution ("FI") for losses arising from a negligence reference check prepared by the FI, which resulted in a prospective employer deciding not to proceed with hiring the FSD: Ramesh s/o Krishnan v AXA Life Insurance Singapore Pte Ltd  4 SLR 1124.
- Assisted to act for a Plaintiff medical company in a contractual dispute against a registered medical practitioner and a medical company providing medical services in the field of plastic surgery. The suite of interlinked agreements related to a proposed business collaboration for the referral of high net-worth clients from China seeking aesthetic medical services.
- Assisted to act for a lawyer against the Law Society of Singapore in a disciplinary hearing for grossly improper conduct during a trial: The Law Society of Singapore v Wong Sin Yee  SGHC 196.
- Assisted to act in the conduct of a High Court appeal for an Appellant charged with conspiracy to traffic drugs, and successfully quashing the conviction on the basis that he possessed drugs for his own consumption.
- Assisted to represent a shareholder in an engineering company in an action against the director for conversion, in relation to the fraudulent and/or dishonest and/or wrongful transfer of the ownership of shares in a company, and concealment of the same.
- Assisted to act for an individual well known in the funeral industry in a high-profile divorce suit, and for the same individual in related defamation proceedings.
- Assisted to represent approximately 30 senior members of the Indian community against a major property development company. The company was used as a corporate vehicle to orchestrate and facilitate an elaborate property investment scam, where the plaintiffs were falsely induced to enter into scam investment opportunities for land at a gross undervalue.
- Assisted to advise a major insurance company in Hong Kong about the merits of its appeal in a bankruptcy petition against an insurance agent for non-compliance with a statutory demand.
- Assisted to represent various clients charged for gang-robbery under Section 391 of the Penal Code ("PC"), and for cheating by personation under Section 416 of the PC in relation to an incident that occurred in Rangoon Road.