Tham Wei Chern graduated from the National University of Singapore with various academic honours and was placed on the Dean’s List. He also represented the university in mooting competitions.
Wei Chern’s practice covers commercial and corporate disputes, including shareholders' disputes and breaches of directors' duties, and securities-related and banking litigation. Wei Chern also handles construction disputes, insolvency matters, employment disputes and defamation claims.
Wei Chern frequently represents clients in the High Court of Singapore and the Court of Appeal. He also acts for clients in international arbitrations.
Wei Chern is a Fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Wei Chern is also a member of the Admissions Committee of the Law Society.
- Acting for the litigation trustee of the litigation trust of an insolvent Canadian-listed company in a claim for approximately US $600 million against the company’s valuers for negligence and breach of contract.
- Acted for a former director of a Singapore company and associated defendants in relation to alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and assistance of such breaches, where the property in dispute is estimated to be worth at least US $100 million.
- Successfully acted for a company in relation to the termination of its consortium agreement with its consortium partner in relation to a contract for the provision of towing services for expressways in Singapore worth $36 million.
- Successfully defended a listed company in an arbitration in respect of an alleged breach of a joint venture in relation to the purchase and charter of Offshore Support Vessels where the claim was for approximately US $8 million.
- Acted for a Singapore-listed company in its application for a Scheme of Arrangement and obtaining a moratorium for the proposed Scheme of Arrangement.
- Acted for the holding company of a Singapore-listed company in resisting a liquidation application where the debt in dispute was approximately US$170 million.
- Acted for and advised creditors in relation to claims against a Singapore-listed offshore and marine company under judicial management.
- Advised a company involved in the retail electricity market in Singapore in relation to potential restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
- Acted for various local and international main contractors in relation to adjudications for progress payments under the Building and Construction (Security of Payment) Act.
- Acted for the majority shareholder of a ship owning company in relation to a US $17 million claim arising out of an alleged personal guarantee.
- Acting for the director of a rubber processing company in relation to a claim on a guarantee over a corporate loan of US $2 million.
- Advising a listed Indian steel manufacturer in relation to various arbitrations made against it arising out forward sale contracts.
- Acted for an Australian listed company in relation to a claim under a call option on shares and a share charge over shares in a Singapore company worth US $23 million. The claim was successfully settled.
- Acted for the Management Committee of a Strata Titled industrial development in relation to a claim by 30 Subsidiary Proprietors concerning parking by-laws
- Acted for a listed Indian software reseller in an arbitration against its customer for unpaid invoices.
- Acted for a Singapore bank in respect of a claim by a private banking customer for alleged misselling, negligent advice, breach of duty and unauthorized transactions.
- Acted for a Dutch bank in respect of a claim by a private banking customer arising out of alleged unauthorized transactions and breach of duty.
- Acted for a German bank in respect of a claim by a private banking customer arising out of misselling, negligent advice, breach of duty and unauthorized transactions.
- Acted for a German bank in respect of a claim by a private banking customer arising out of alleged unauthorized transactions.
- Acted for an Austrian bank in respect of a claim by a private banking customer arising out of alleged unauthorized transactions and breach of duty.
- Acted for the receivers of assets of a multi-national petroleum group in relation to a claim made by the group against its former management for misappropriating the said assets.
- Acted for the receiver of assets of the Chairman and majority shareholder of an insolvent Hong Kong listed company.
- Acted for a major Korean music and entertainment company in an arbitration against a concert promoter in Indonesia.
- Successfully acted for the then Chief Justice of Singapore in a claim for defamation
- Defended a listed property developer against a claim of alleged misrepresentation.
- Defended a listed property developer against a claim of breach of duty in relation to a collective sale.
- Advised the owner of a hotel in a dispute with MCST in a mixed residential-hotel development.
- Acted for a listed property developer in relation to the collective sale of a condominium.
- Acted for a statutory body in an arbitration against a main contractor in relation to the construction of a major highway in Singapore.
- Acted for a statutory body in relation to an inquiry into the breakdown of train services.
- Acted for shareholders both in the majority and minority in shareholder oppression actions.
- Defended a director of a company listed on the Philips Securities OTC against a claim of breach of fiduciary duty.
- Acted for the independent directors of a listed company in relation to the failure by the company to make proper disclosure in its listing prospectus.
- Acted for a submarine cable installation company in its dispute with its main contractors in separate projects over unpaid contractual sums.
- Acted for a statutory body in the inquiry into the collapse of a major highway.
In a testimonial published by The Legal 500, Wei Chern is described as having the ability to cut through complex issues, pre-empt situations and constantly evolve strategies to be a few steps ahead. He is thorough in his approach and seeks to always align with Client’s interest first. (Desmond See, Business Development Manager, ASEAN Cableship Pte. Ltd.)
Wei Chern is also listed in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 as a recommended lawyer in Dispute Resolution, and described as “good at contentious litigation matters with complex issues”.